- In what ways do the metabolic lifestyles/pathways of microorganisms modulate in response to environmental changes (e.g., changes in redox conditions as a function of water table fluctuation or organic matter loading)?
- To what extent can we link modes of degradation of organic matter to genetically encoded metabolic potential?
- Under what conditions does chemolithoautotrophy play a significant role in subsurface carbon and electron flow?
- Meta-omics analysis (metagenomic, metatranscriptomic, metaproteomic)
- Physiological analysis for providing kinetic data and confirming annotation
- High-throughput microbial isolation
- Experimental systems: Field-based and laboratory-based
- Jill Banfield & Harry Beller (leads)
- Eoin Brodie
- Romy Chakraborty
- Bob Hettich (ORNL)
- Mike Wilkins (PNNL)
- JGI Community Sequencing Project (Banfield)
- Illumina sequencer
- Proteomics MS facilities (ORNL)
- NimbleGen microarray facilities
- EMSL user award (Banfield)
- Kbase collaboration project (ggKbase, Banfield)